Monday, February 8, 2010

First Teaching Day

My day started by walking over to the Faculty of Health Sciences office on Jannus Pannonia. I didn't know how long the walk would take. I estimated at least 15 minutes and it took me only 10 minutes, so I arrived more than plenty early. Thus, I took a walk by the office to the Cathedral area. It is indeed very beatiful in the snow.

I was somewhat amused to see workers shoveling snow from the second floor terrace on the Bishop's palace. I know in Minnesota we would simply let it melt, whenever!

Back to the Faculty of Health Sciences office. Agnes walked me over to the Ret Utca building. I thought I heard her say, "Your office is up there by the flag." I thought I had not heard correctly. I was blown away when the door was unlocked.

You can see I have a computer and a printer. The keyboard is to type Hungarian and has a number of extra keys, plus some of the keys needed for both languages in a different place. For example, the zero key is to the left of one rather than next to 9. Next to 9 is one of the extra O forms in Hungarian. The Y key is down by the Z key. Keying in a couple of e-mail messages was indeed quite an adventure.
But that's now all. Look at the nice seating area. Behind the chair you can see the start of some very well designed storage areas. The office has French doors that open to the terrace over the door seen in the building picture above. There is also a floor fan at this end of the office, a clue that the weather will probably be warmer before I leave!

I was introduced to many, many people. I'm certain it will take me quite some time to learn everyone's names. However, they will all know who I am and why I'm wondering around lost in the hallway.

I participated briefly in the first English for Special Purposes class. This one is for students intereted in recreation/health promotion. In the States we would never attach health promotion to recreation, but isn't that a good idea?!?

Next Monday for this class I'll do a lecture presentation about university life in the United States. I need to make it interactive, so I have to put on my thinking cap about how I want to do that. Students are also quite casual about whether or not they want to come to class. This morning we had three students. If everyone shows up it should be more like 10 students, and eventually the class will be composed of students from Hungary, Finland, and Portugal. Also next Monday I also will do a lecture in the Jannus Pannonia building about nursing models in the United States, so my hands are now full. It will be interesting to see what the next two days bring. However, the Tuesday and Wednesday classes are the same class, just with different students. Thus anything prepared for one ought to work for the other. I also met the instructor who will help me with Hungarian lessons. She is also the instructor I'll work with on Wednesdays.

I learned today, too, that I'll start teaching the Health Policy and Global Health classes in April.

No comments: