Sunday, April 11, 2010

Saturday with Fulbrighters

I woke up very early and was out of the door by 8AM to walk a bit and then get some breakfast. Only at 9 did I remember that I left my phone in the flat while I was charging it overnight, so I had to walk back to the flat and get the phone. Good that I had it with me.

At 10 AM I was at the place on the schedule for the Fulbrighters. No one was there. I called AnnaMarie, our connection to Fulbright, and she told me they changed the tour a bit. I met them and walked to the Zsolany Museum. This was my first visit. I had waited to visit museums to see what ones we are going to for the Fulbright visit. The museum is wonderful. I know I will go again and take some photos when I can do this at my own speed, not during a tour. Above is a picture of outside exhibit. Next we walked only a short distance to the Csontvary Museum. Again i will visit that at another time at more own speed and write much more about it.

I walked with Harry and Tari, Fulbrighters from Budapest, to a restaurant where we met Thomas and Carol. They arrived with the news of the Polish tragedy. Unbelievable news.

After our lunch we are squeezed ourselves into the Burns' car and drove to Pecsvarad.

We enjoyed seeing the old abbey castle there. It was built in the 15th century, fortified before the Turk invansion, didn't withstand that, and then rebuilt in the 17th century.

Here are some photos of the site.

The views from the castle walls are lovely.

We wandered our way back to Pecs and had a light, but delicious, supper at the Burns.Tom drove Harry and Tari back to the train station. Then we all made our way to the Basilica for a concert.



Sorry that this picture is not any better. I wasn't doing photograhy under good conditions. Just grabbed a shot at the encore.

This concert featured music unlike anything I have experienced before. It featured Haydn's Organ Concerto in C major and Saint-Saens' Organ Symphony. Since most US concert halls do not have an organ, we don't hear these types of compositions. It was truly amazing to have the orchestra in front and the pipes of the organ in the rear. Surround sound for sure!

I was so knocked out from being on the go from befor 8AM to after 10 PM that I just came home and collapsed, hence the blog being written now on Sunday morning.







No comments: