Monday, April 26, 2010

Starting a New Week


I got an e-mail telling me I had a Powerpoint to do about Metropolitan State University for the International Week coming up. I did most of the work on this Sunday morning, and then headed off for a short walk. I was curious about what might be happening in Szechenyi Ter after all the excitement of Saturday afternoon and evening. I found it very quiet. Now with the construction fences gone, I can take some pictures of things in the Ter. The above building was constructed to be a bank. It has lots and lots of beautiful Zsolnay decorations. On the first floor lower left you may be able to read Kavehaz. This is where I went on my second morning in Pecs when I was hungry and there was absolutely nothing to eat yet in my flat.

In the middle of the Ter there are monuments. It seems every Hungarian city has a monument like this. In some cities one is told that the building monument cause the plague to stop. Here the story is that the monument helps us to remember all the people who died.

Here is a closeup of one of the panels on the monument. This monument is respected, but not held in reverence. During the basketball team welcome people climbed all over this monument to see the celebration up by the mosque church.

In the afternoon, Thomas graciously offered to take me up into the Mescek Hills. We had a very nice hike.

We were looking for wild flowers, but the bear garlic still remained the dominant plant up in the hills. We went all the way up to an observatory platform. Below is the view from there.


You can see we were quite aways above Pecs. We did most of the climb in the car, up to a trailhead in a national forest. We then did a circle drive to the north and west and worked our way back to Pecs, stopping at Tesco as long as we were basically there. I brought home some pancake syrup with the idea of making French toast one of these days.

In the evening I took another walk and got this nice photo of the moon over the City Hall.

Today, Monday was the last day for one of the English classes. I have very much enjoyed working with the students. This class had a blend of students from Hungary, Portugal, and Finland. What fun!

Tomorrow I'm going to Szeged and will return late Wednesday evening. On Thursday morning I must leap quickly into a full day of teaching. Thus the blog may be silent for a couple of days, but I'm sure I'll come back from Szeged with some good stories and some good pictures.

No comments: