Saturday, July 3, 2010

Scenes from Zakopane

Our first week has flown by quickly. Today most everyone is off to Krakow, but three of us who have been there stayed behind for a relaxing day in Zakopane. Today the weather is just perfect - sunny and probably in the high 70s!

Last evening three of us went with one of the Polish teachers to one of the concerts associated with the Organ Festival going on in Zakopane. The concert also included performances by musicians who played marimba and flute. The concert was held in a church, and as quite usual the organ was in the back of the church. However, a camera had been set up in the organ loft and the signal was broadcast the front so we could watch the organist.

When we started to walk back to the hotel we came upon some street musicians who were terrific. They were playing classical music!

Today I took a walk about trying to find a museum, and obviously on the wrong street. I saw the ski jump again. This remains a popular sport in Poland, and again during the last Winter Olympics athletes who train here did quite well.

Zakopane continues to develop at almost break-neck speed. Every year I see new things, but I was glad to still see a somewhat rural and undeveloped scene not too far from the hotel.

I saw some of my other favorite scenes. Above is a small nearby park with the mountain scene in the background.

I found the above while walking along a street. I was hoping the photo is good enough that readers can actually "hear" the water.

And for anyone who doesn't know why I'm here, please see http://www.globalvolunteers.org/. Maybe you will find a place you wish to go to as well, either within the United States or in another country.

No comments: