Saturday, October 27, 2007

Adventures in Freedom

Four trips to Europe have ignited my interest in what it means to be part of the European Union. Poland entered in 2004 just 4 days before I arrived in May. When I returned in May, 2006, I could already see signs of change. Much road construction was underway all with signs indicating the EU was one source of the funding for the road improvements. I discovered I could buy a chocolate bar at the airport for 2 zlotys, but someone from the EU would have to pay 3. And to make sure I was entitled to the price of 2 zlotys I had to show my passport. But more importantly I learned that nearly every child in one of my classes had a primary relative -- brother, sister, mother, father, aunt or uncle -- living and working in England or Ireland.

Now since the recent election in Poland comes news that the Polish government will now probably become a signatory onto the EU statement of Fundamental Rights. Take a look at this web site: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/charter/pdf/text_en.pdf

It is very interesting reading. Take a look and see if we have all these fundamental rights in this country.

No comments: