Sunday, December 23, 2007

Twas the 2nd day before Christmas

and all through my life -- misadventures were showing. Yesterday we received some freezing rain and then a bit of snow. That, combined with a bit of weather with above freezing temperatures, turned the residential streets into an interesting driving surface. This morning when I went out to go to church, I found my car was frozen into the slush on the street. It took the old rocking back and forth strategy to get it free. Then I continued on my usual journey and found that half way up the nearby hill was as far as I was going to go. Even in the lowest gear the car refused to move on the slick. I had to back down the hill, avoiding all the cars parked along the side of the street. Mission accomplished. The ABS system on the brakes got a good work out as well during the rest of the drive.

Oh, why did I even try to go to church? Ah, I'm glad for there is a young friend back from his adventures in New York City. Nice to say hello and give him a few words of encouragement. Oh, books I had on order are finally here. Great, for one was to be a Christmas gift.

Back home thankfully, and determined not to go anywhere. My washer broke earlier this fall, and I've been making trips to the laundromat, but it was so cold and blustery that I didn't want to. I was certain the gods of the universe would let the washer work just one more time, but that didn't happen. Now how to get the water out of the washer -- I dipped and dipped with little containers trying to get around the agitator. Finally figured out the reason the water wouldn't dump out is that I hadn't turned the button totally on. No, the washer didn't work -- that is agitate, but at least the clothes got soaked clean -- we'll just assume.

Then I happened to look down in the basement and saw something run across the room. I was surprised because I thought the cat was upstairs. Well, she was. Upon further investigation, I found a squirrel looking up at me from the folder laundry. Now I've opened windows in the basement hoping the fool thing has the sense to find its way out. Open windows in the basement is just what one wants in a snowstorm! I surely don't know how the fool thing got in.

I've decided the squirrel came into my life to remind me about the difference between an inconvenience and a problem. This squirrel is an inconvenience. I remember earlier this fall hearing on the radio an Iraqi father expressing his despair at how he could prevent his children getting cholera. He can't afford medicine, he can't afford propane to boil water. Now that's a problem.

And I'm wondering why the cat isn't at least interested!

No comments: