Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Surprising Adventures

I had to go for a blood draw this morning at 9 AM and then was planning to go to a lecture at the University of Minnesota at 11:30. Since the two locations were quite close, I packed my bag with work that needed doing. I planned to stop for breakfast in between the two events. However, when I got to the restaurant, I found out it was in the process of being turned into a tea house. So I headed for a coffee shop that I certain to still be there.

It was, I got my coffee and walked to a back room hoping it would be more quiet. I found a table and started to read. I looked up and there was a photo of a blue and yellow 2nd class Polish train car. There was a picture from L'Viv. There was a picture from Zakopane. Through no planning on my part at all I had landed right where a travel photographer had located Polish and Ukrainian photos! How nice to see these familiar images.

I also enjoyed watching a native-born Minnesota young man tutoring an African-born student. He would explain, demonstrate with his hands, do everything he could to get the idea across. Meanwhile, the African-born man had a look of intense concentration on his face. They were both engaged 110% in the activity. It was truly quite beautiful.

No comments: