Friday, June 25, 2010

Sight-seeing adventures around Budapest



For a very long time the palace in Godollo has been on my list.
On Thursday we three took the Metro over to the Buda side and had palacsintas for breakfast. Then we grabbed the Metro back to its end and took the HEV train to Godollo. I got off on the stop for the palace while Richard and Wendy went on to see the university for where Richard taught in 1992.


I so enjoyed seeing everything. As soon as I saw this beautiful area I understand why Queen Erzebet (Sissi) enjoyed living here, particularly during the hot summer months. It just feels cool looking at it.
Next I saw a small dining room. This photos should give an idea of the beauty of this place. About 90 minutes later Richard and Wendy met me and we walked through the gardens together. It was interesting hearing their stories of what this place looked like in 1992 when they first came to Hungary. It had been ill-used during the Communist era and efforts were just underway to repair the buildings and rebuild the garden.

I really enjoyed this place and was so glad I had come. We walked through the town noting familiar places from their stay in 1992, including the house in which they lived at that time.

Returning to Budapest I got on the end of the M2 line and took it over to Moskova ter. This is from the very eastern side of Pest to the Castle area on the Buda side and this trip took only 20 minutes. Public transportation in Budapest truly is great. I took the 16 bus further into the castle area and then went to small cafe for sandwich and drink.


Then I went down to the Castle area. This building now holds the gallery for the Hungarian artists. I had a wonderful time seeing all the exhibits. I'm rather glad I waited until now to visit this gallery because all the names make greater sense to me now then they might have had I chosen this in March for example.

And coming here now had an extra. One can go up into the dome.
Here is a view of the Danube and the Chain Bridge from the viewing area outside the dome. This was great fun on a summer day, might not have been available or much fun in the winter!



The above view shows the Buda Hills. I was so very glad to have had this chance for a bird's-eye view.

I ended the day visiting my favorite coffee house and then later grabbing a  sandwich.

More at another time about visiting the Pariliament and the Applied Arts Museum.

The next few hours are involved in dinner and then getting re-organized for an early morning flight to Krakow, via Prague.


No comments: