Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Life Around 40 -- Chapter 2

If you haven't done so already, start with Life Around 40 below. That was getting long and complicated, so I'm writing Chapter 2.


After visiting the museum in Kaposvar, we decided to go see the University of Kaposvar where Richard has been teaching. This university is outside the city, far enough that we needed to take a bus to get there. On our way to the bus stop Richard found some of his students. The young woman in the white tank top is one of the students from Croatia. She is with her parents who were visiting in Kaposvar. Wendy is on the far left and Richard is on the far right.

The University of Kaposvar is quite new and unlike many other universities in Central Europe, it is basically located in one location -- only its Fine Arts Faculty is located elsewhere.

We traveled perhaps eight minutes on the bus out into the country and found this. I said it looked like the American Midwest. The sculpture in the foreground has four piecs, I think to represent animals, plants, birds, and humans.

It is not without an unusual building either. If this isn't an Imre Makovecz building, it must have done by one of his students!

We waited a very long time on a Saturday afternoon for a bus back into the city, mostly just sitting as quietly as we could in the bus stop because it was really, really hot. When we returned we went for lunch in a small cafe in the shopping center area. Fruit soup tasted really good!

Soon I was returning to Pecs, and this time on a quiet, air-conditioned bus. I took a taxi back to my flat for I was carrying about 20 pounds of books from Richard and Wendy to give to the American Corner here. I was glad to find my flat somewhat cool since it had been shut up for two days, and there are somewhat thick walls in this building.

About 9 PM I wandered out for a sandwich and then took a few steps to Szechenyi Ter. Here's special lighting on the Mosque Church.

However, the real reason for going to Szechenyi Ter was the laser show. This began at 10:30 PM when it was dark and somewhat cool. I've never seen anything quite like this before.

One needed to look elsewhere around the Ter, too. Here are lights glancing off the Trinity Column. This was an amazing performance.

I spent Sunday primarily in my flat with my nose in a book. It was so very, very hot outside. In the early evening I took my bottle of Bishop's Wine over to Thomas and Carol's flat, along with their plants that I had been caring for during their trip to Germany. Their flat has big thick walls too and was quite comfortable inside.

As I write the temperature is much nicer -- the heat spell has broken at least for a bit. This was the hottest weather I've been in. Never before have I had sweat dripping down my forehead and then the salt from it stinging my eyes.

No comments: