Sunday, June 20, 2010

Night of the Museums

June 19 was the Night of Museums. I was surprised to see a brass band in front of the archelogical museum. I was sorry to say I couldn't find much in this one that interested me. It is just re-opening and there were few exhibits. Apparently, the plan was to show a lot of videos, but in Hungarian. I decided to use my time elsewhere.

I went next to the Magyar Modern Art museum.

The first thing I saw was art made from paper. I am excited to show pictures like this to my grandson who is highly interested in making art. I'm sorry that I don't have the name of this artist.

In each room there was a computer displaying a complex algorithm. Yet one approaches, you see yourself.

Now back to something more interesting. The above looks quite like the paper art, but this one is painted. This artist is Benedek Barna.

Color is brilliant too in this art. The artist here is Fodor Pal.

After enjoying seeing modern art, I went to a special exhibit by Gunter Brus. These were photographs of two performance art events. Children were not permitted in this exhibit so that should give readers a clue of what was shown. I was highly disturbed by what I saw. Brus is Austrian. When I came back home I did a web search to find more about this artist. I found this description about his work: "controversial and out of one's comfort zone." Thus I'm not alone in my reaction to this work. In fact, Austria imprisoned Brus for six months after one of his performance events.

After this I followed people going up steps into an area new to me. Oh! This is the park my acquaintance mentioned taking her children. It is a park area up and behind the Basilica.

The first thing I saw was a monument to Angster. The signs around the bottom have a button that can be pushed. That makes a 2-3 minute music event from one of the churches that holds an Angster organ. (Please see my previous entry about visiting museums if the name Angster doesn't make sense.) I'm delighted to see this monument to the Angster work.

If you are curious, do a web search. You will find both narratives and also images of his work. I would also keep the rule of not doing this around children.

The next museum I visited was like village of sculptures. These sculptures is the work of Erzsbet Schaar. When I saw them I immediately thought, "Yes, they are Hungarians." I don't know exactly what it is that makes someone look Hungarian. I know if I had seen these sculptures in another country I would identify the models as Hungarian.

I spent the rest of evening enjoying another concert for a time. Then I went to Cella Septichora to take pictures for my presentation in Poland. I learned a couple of new tricks with Photoshop to improve this photo. In the middle above the window is a design called a Christogram. On either side is St. Peter and St. Paul pointing to the Christogram. If you missed an entry from sometime in February, this area is 4th Century Roman ruins.

Back now to working on the presentation for the time when I'm in Poland.

1 comment:

Pál FODOR said...

The name of atrist who made the paper work is: Anita EGLE