Friday, July 2, 2010

Life at Summer Camp

Greetings from summer camp. Again -- and I'll say as usual -- I'm having a wonderful time. I have three delightful students. I work with them for two class periods and then we join another group for two class periods. In this manner the students, and we, meet everyone. It is also easier to do some games or other activities with a larger group.

The Internet has been on and off for the past several days. In some ways, I find it amusing to watch the Americans. One would think the world is coming to the end if the Internet is down for two hours. When I went to a church service in Pecs, the minister later told me: "You are an atypical American, but I can still tell you are an American." I think because of the time I've spent in Europe my attitude about many things has changed. Certainly I've slowed down. So -- just send the e-mail later at 12:00 rather than 8:00. Everyone in the States is in bed now anyway!

Back to something more delightful.

Yesterday I got to do one of my favorite things in Zakopane. We took the PKL up the Gubolowka mountain, spent some time up there, and then walked over the chair lift to go down. I really like this chairlift. It is quite new and has great technology. One gets an amazing ride down the mountain, almost as if as on a magic carpet, for the ride doesn't even make a click sound when it hits one of the supporting tower connections. Yesterday I learned how to get from the chair lift area back to the hotel, so in the future years I can now go do this independently if I wish.

Camp is moving too quickly. It will seem strange to be going back to the States rather than staying for additional summer camps.

No comments: