Saturday, July 17, 2010

Minnesota Transition

The first thing I noticed is how noisy it is. After living in an area for six months in which cars cannot be driven unless one lives in the neighborhood, all the traffic seems particularly noisy.

I've been looking forward to having TV again, but now that seems strange too. I can't remember where any of the channels such as BBC America and Food Channel are. Going to have to write myself a cheat sheet.

It took me a long time to remember where in the kitchen I put the plastic food storage bags. I went to reach up into the cupboard for a skillet to make breakfast, when I remembered I was now in Minnesota and the pans are stored in a drawer under the oven.

American style showers seem strange, too.

Gradually resetting my bio clock to Minnesota time. Got up at 3 AM very hungry, ate some ice cream, read for a bit and then went back to sleep until 5 and got myself back to sleep until 7 AM.

After the final hot days in Pecs and no screens on the doors, I'm grateful for air conditioning and also screens so that there are no bugs, particularly mosquitoes, in my apartment. The pattern of mosquito bites on my legs are beginning to heal. On the other hand, since we have a Mosquito Regional Control Board, I could probably live here without screens and be OK.

And to compound the transition, for the past four summers I've been in Poland, so haven't July in Minnesota since 2005.

I've been invited back to the University of Pecs for the Spring International Week. If it is scheduled for the same time next year as this year, I'll be able to do that. Pecs is a very special place and I'll be glad to visit any time I'm invitied or can help.

No comments: