Monday, July 5, 2010

Zakopane Firsts

This is my fourth stay in Zakopane and my third stay at the very nice Hotel Wanta. However, much of what I see I've seen before. However, I did get a couple of photos of new things.


The above is not entirely new to me. I've see it before, but this is the first time I've had my camera is the right place at the right time. One of the women who works overnight at the Reception desk carves fruits and vegetables as a hobby. You can see her work is lovely and inventive. The words on one of the vegetables is the name of a festival taking place at the present time in Zakopane.

Yesterday I took a walk looking for a museum, didn't find it, but found a new monument. This monument honors Chalubinski who was born in Radom in 1820, educated as a physician in Warsaw, and then practiced much of his life in Zakopane. He is remembered for establishing one of the first sanatoria in Poland to care for persons who had tuberculosis. There is a forest area near this monument also named in his honor. It's also fun to discover a new thing -- and meanwhile I'm still trying to figure out on what street is the musuem!

No comments: