Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back to an Adventure

With the house gone and my apartment settled and everything so easy here, I find I have time on my hands. Well, then it's back to teaching English in the evenings as a volunteer.  This evening I subbed with a class at Guadalupe Projects. I had 8 Hispanic adults. I'll be back there next week too. My regular gig is going to be on the East side of St. Paul on Monday evenings. I'll have a beginner class which seems to be divided between Hispanic and Hmong adults.

Update -- Didn't end up teaching. The organization insisted I had to take the pre-service class. I had taught for them before and then pre-service was waived on the basis of my experience. This year they quickly referred me to doing sub work, and then this. With all the English teaching I've done, being a university professor and having a PhD in education, I didn't feel the need to take a class which included topics such as how to plan a lesson. I figure the organization doesn't need volunteers very much if this requirement is now in place. 

No comments: