Thursday, September 23, 2010

Is This the River?

Is this the river near my apartment? No, it's actually on the other side of the building and it's the start of a park. We've had very heavy rains this week in southern Minnesota. In some locations this is now a disaster, whereas I've just got a view of an interesting location. When I moved here this area that I see out of my apartment windows was still a bit of an industrial site. Last fall the railroad tracks were removed. Then it became snow covered.

When I returned from Hungary I found dirt had been hauled into this area. Under my door I found numerous flyers apologizing for the mess of the dirt hauling. My car in the underground garage was absolutely covered with dirt -- I'm sure sucked in by the fresh air fan not far from where I park. Since my car didn't move and so wasn't exposed to air, rain, or car washes, every grain of dirt from the last six months was on it.

Shortly after I returned a worker appeared and planted grass. I though the hot days of July were a strange time to try to plant grass. However, it did take and grow. Then last week the worker appeared again and harrowed the field. I then understood that the grass was meant to be green manure, to begin to enrich the dirt into something that might then be described a soil. New grass seed was planted and I thought this morning maybe I could see a hint of green. But then the monsoon hit. Again, the field is standing water.  I'm having a good lesson learning the difference between dirt and soil.

No comments: