Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Old Timers Adventure

Today I went to St. Cloud to meet with colleagues with whom I worked at the Minnesota Department of Health. Once a year there is a gathering of us who worked there, most retired but some of us took other jobs. We really had a good time recalling adventures and laughing. It made me think of my early career as a public health nurse. I worked in a county in southeast Iowa. Once a month some of us would get together at a supper club for dinner and then some kind of continuing education event. This was a time when married women weren't Sue Jones, for example, but Mrs. David Jones. Yet there we were, a bunch of women having a good time. Doing public health work takes a good deal of independence and confidence.

One time the bar tender at this restaurant told me he really liked our group. He said, "You talk more, you laugh more, and you drink more than any other group of women who come here. "

I'm working on a big, important project that has to be done October 29, plus balancing all my other work responsibilities. That is why the blog has been  quiet for awhile.

No comments: