Tuesday, May 10, 2011

First Teaching Day

We spent much of yesterday in preparation for classes. It is always a big guess until  one has met the students and worked with the teachers. During this time a group of children arrived. They appeared to be about 9 or 10 years old. They were here for an overnight art experience. It was nice to hear Reymontowka buzzing again with children. They and their accompanying teachers were charming companions.

After obiad (the large mid day meal with really doesn't translate well as lunch) we headed to Siedlce to meet with the deputy governor. One of our team members thought we were telling a tall tale about storks in Poland so we drove by the Cisie store to see the family always there in residence.

Sure enough, there they were, so we were not telling tall tales to someone!

Our meeting with the deputy governor was a nice experience. She is responsible primarily for the rural area around Siedlce.

When our meeting was completed, Dorota and I walked to a phone store and turned my Hungarian phone into a Polish phone. Now we are business to make phone calls back and forth in Poland. That will be very helpful.


Towards evening time I heard someone playing the piano downstairs and I went exploring. That's when I found out there was to be a piano concert. I found the associate director of Reymontowka and found the time was 19:00, so we quickly ate our evening meal and went to the large room for the concert.

Three piano artists played. One appeared to be about 9 years old, one about 13, and one about 16. They did not  play Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star -- rather they played Chopin, Bach, and Liszt.



Today I participated in four classes at the Special Needs School in Siedlce and then we went to the small village of Olszyc. Over 40 students stayed after school to speak with us. We divided up into two groups for what I call an "Ask Pani" session. The questions were primarily in Polish although they can understand English, that's for sure.

The questions ranged from "What is your father's name?" to "Do you love  your country?" How do I know they understand English? One boy asked me, "What is your favorite sport? I replied, "Come on, you are asking a grandmother," and they all laughed. Afterwards all the girls wanted autographs. I think this is the first time that has ever happened to me!

Five classes in one day is a bit exhausting, but the now the first day is over, and it's downhill from here.

No comments: