Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Teaching Assignments

Perhaps I should write about my teaching assignments so readers may know I'm really working -- that is volunteering. On Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday morning I teach at the Cisie Elementary School. My students are in third and fourth grade. They already know a lot of English and I'm helping most with pronunciation -- and probably also giving them confidence that what they speak can be understood by someone other than their teacher.

On Wednesday and Friday we go to the Special Needs School in Siedlce. These students have a variety of problems that result in development delay. I really enjoy these students.

Some afternoons I tutor a young women about to graduate with her master's degree. Now she wants to go job hunting, and must do all of this in English. So we are looking at her resume, although in Poland this is called a curriculum vita (CV), the same word we use in academia in the United States. She also has some sample interview questions. She said , "I don't know how I would answer these in Poland, let along English." So at our next lesson she will bring some sample job advertisements and we will start to customize answers to a certain job. A question such as "What interests  you about this job?" can only be answered if there is a specific job in mind.

Two afternoons while I'm here I'll go yet to another school and speak with 4-6th graders there. They are being invited by their English teacher and coming after school for this. Thus we are busy. This is not a lay around vacation.

And tomorrow I will go with students from Cisie on a full day field trip. My ride will be here at 5:40 AM and I expect to return at 8PM.  So now attention must be given to planning Thursday classes, because I'll not want to do that tomorrow evening when I return.

No comments: