Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Second Teaching Day

No photos today. One reason -- I carry so many things in my bag that it is difficult to grab out my camera. Also we refrain from taking photos of students during at least the first week. One of the Global Volunteers' rules is to wait to take photos until there is a relationship between people.

I was back today at the Special School in Siedlce. We worked with two students groups we had met yesterday. One group was very small because some children were away today on a religious retreat. With only three students we really didn't try to have a formal class. Rather I took the students outdoors and they gathered leaves. Then we went inside and arranged them to make solar pictures. This activity allowed us to talk about the paper turning from blue to white and also to speak about 1, 2, and 3 minutes for the process to take place.

I also did a one to one tutoring with a boy. He really struggled with words about clothing, but did a marvelous job with food vocabulary words. He told the Polish teacher he wants to learn English so he can go to Italy!

Back at Reymontowka I began planning for teaching at the Cisie School tomorrow. I taught there in both 2004 and 2006 and I'm excited to be going back. I will have 3 and 4 graders there for a regular class, and then another volunteer joins me with the 3rd graders and we do a supplemental class -- more informal and fun things. For example, Monday we will play shape and colors Bingo.

The weather here is very hot for this time of year in Poland. The other years when I've been here in May, we have often built fires in the evening to stay warm. Not this year!

No comments: