Monday, May 2, 2011

Beautiful Day in Pecs

I was away from the hotel by 8:30, walking to the Arkade and seeing all types of familiar sights.
There are lovely spring flowers at the new fountain on Szechenyi Ter. Last year I didn't see the flowers because the fountain was not quite done in the early spring.

Next I saw the nearby church.

Obviously this church is not new, but all last year it was shrouded in for a reconstruction.

On down the street to Kossuth Ter. The construction is done here now.

Now we can really see the Kossuth monument as well as the synogogue.

At the Arkade, I stopped for a cappuccino, waiting for the stores to open.  I went to the Media Mart to get a flat iron -- this is an appliance for hair -- for my granddaughter. Easy success. I had about 10 from which to choose. I made my purchase and then headed back to the hotel. I moved my luggage from one hotel to another.

More beautiful flowers on the way.


Got to the new hotel, unpacked a bit and then headed out again. I wandered through a park, an area where in the summer there are often cafes, but nothing to be seen yet.

Ended up at one of my favorite restaurants -- Elephant House -- in English. I had a lovely pasta primavera salad. From here I went to the shuttle office to check my pick-up time for Friday. I simply walked in and greeted the woman at the desk and said I had left home without notes regarding the time. She opened up her computer program and told me the time without even asking my name. She remembered me! It seems as if I have never left here.

I went to the post office and mailed one post card and then headed over to McDonald's to meet Reka from the American Corner. We walked down to a language school,. I met with five people for a discussion about American summer holidays.

After this session I went back to the Arkade for some ice cream.
Really, no country does ice cream like Hungary.

I took a slow walk back to the hotel and saw two more lovely scenes.
This was a day that only those of us who live in northern latitudes can truly appreciate. After a long winter, there is nothing better than a lovely, sunny spring day. Now I need to sleep. Still haven't adjusted to a new time zone.

No comments: