Monday, February 1, 2010

Train Adventure

Overnight I got an idea. I walked to the American Corner Pecs, a place managed the U.S. State Department and talked with them about their need for native English speakers. This place was only about 2.5 blocks from my flat. The sidewalks were quite a mess, so that distance was a bit of challenge. When we were done discussing their need for people like me, they called a taxi for me to take me to the train station. By asking questions I got on the right train in time.

The first part of the ride was beautiful. The snow from yesterday had decorated everthing. The area we were going through was a bit like mountains, little brooks, and rocks. Truly beautiful. At a major stop another couple on the train and I wandered if they were Americans.

Later a trolley came through the car and I misread the bill of 280 forints for 230 forints. That's when they heard me speak English and then asked if I was going to Budapest for Fulbright! Thus that is how I met Richard, a Fulbright professor, and his wife, Wendy. This is their second time in Hungary, but their last time was 17 years ago, so this almost a different country.

It was nice to have company finding our way from the Keleti station to the hotel. Once we were checked in we did a trip to the Fulbright Office so we know our journey for tomorrow. We met the Fulbright staff. We came back to the hotel area and then walked to a nearby restaurant for an early dinner, since all of us had nothing since breakfast many hours ago. The food was great.

Budapest feels cold, and there is new snow. It feels much more crowded and hectic than ever I've experienced in Warsaw. Also after spending a few days in quiet Pecs, I'm a bit in culture shock with all the hussle and bustle! That's all for now. Taking photos, but I'm using a hotel computer in the lobby, so pictures will have to wait until I get back to my own computer.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Fascinating! Your breakfast descriptions have made me curious about coffee in Hungary. Is it a popular beverage as in the US -- available in multiple flavors and carried around in disposable cups everywhere?

Lori said...

Coffee is a bit different. I've yet to find American type coffee in Pecs. Here is the hotel it's a bit like cappincio, but good. Drinking is more formal here. People do sometimes use water bottles on place like a train, but no one carries around coffee in a cup on the street.

At the meeting, we have small little cups for the coffee, more like expresso. Thnaks for your question and comment.