Saturday, February 20, 2010

Walking Around on Saturday Morning

I start again with a helpful photo for anyone planning travel to Hungary. The one forint coin is no longer in circulation so all transactions have to be done at the 5 level. Today I purchased two oranges and a red pepper at the produce shop over on Kiraly. The total came to 392 forints. I gave the clerk 400 forints and she made change from 390. Some receipts such as the one I get from Interspar (see above) show this difference on the receipt, but this doesn't often happen. Notice above the change was made from 2495.

Here is something I see nearly every day. The sculpture is on the corner where I turn onto Kiraly. Now that she is out of her "snow coat" I can see what the sculpture really looks like. At the lower left, there a glimpse of some graffiti. This is handled much different in Europe than in the United States. Here, meaning every place I've been in Central Europe -- comments not limited to Hungary, it is simply left alone. I've been puzzled about this on other visits, but then I saw a TV program at home about this is considered the poor man or people's art.


I saw a sign of spring this morning. A church on Szechenyi Ter has been shrouded in a blue renovation screen since I've been here. Yesterday I noticed the screen was gone. And today I saw men taking the scaffolding down. I was pleased for I want Pecs to look nice when the other Minnesotans come.





And I was delighted to find that doughnuts exist in Hungary. This really looked -- and also tasted -- good to me this morning. A doughnut is called a fank.

No comments: