Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Fog to Tatros

This morning was very foggy. When I got to the corner with the bank clock I was surprised to see the temperature was 13 Celsius. This is the coldest I've been at that temperature. By lunch time the fog was burning off a bit.

I went to the Arkade to get some things from the paper store. Then I decided to get brave and get in line for sort of a cafeteria in the Arkade. By pointing I got a nice lunch. This tasted good a somewhat cool and damp day. I then walked to my favorite place and ordered a cappucino and started to work on my Hungarian home work. This assignment for this week will keep me more than busy. When I get it all done, I should actually be able to say something!

This evening I went to the Tatros Concert with Mark, a Fulbrighter on a High School Teacher Exchange, and his wife, Chen. Now I know how to get into Dominican House for a concert. I've walked back and forth on that street and couldn't figure out where the door was to any concert area.

Tatros is from Budapest. They play music from the Csango group of Hungarians now found in present day Romania.

The instruments were different than I expected. The lute is important.

But what really surprised me were what I called flutes in my head. When I came  home and looked up the web site for this group, I found they are called wooden whistles. Indeed they are made from beautiful wood. They come in different sizes. I marvled at how men with large hands could play the very smallest ones.

For their encore they led a circle dance. What a pleasant evening!

No comments: