Sunday, February 14, 2010

Quiet Sunday in Pec

Happy Day! The sun is shining! I found the above sign in the Arkade. I think everyone is Pecs is looking for spring. The past week of gray skies and wet, wet snow was not popular. When I see English such as this I have to do a double check about just where I am.

Last evening I boiled up some of the potatoes that I got at the market yesterday, so this morning I had cottage fries and a scrambled egg for breakfast. There must be something about soils or either the varieties of potato used; I like European pototoes so much better. These potatoes look white when peeled but turn a very pale yellow color when cooked.

I worked on a lecture I must give on Friday morning. The professor asked for my lecture enough in advance that someone could work on a translation. It was so pleasant to be in my flat with the wonderful sun coming in.

About lunch time I decided to head off to the grocery store for a few items. I've been living here long enough that I'm beginning to know where everything is on street level, so have started to spend some time looking up. The Hungarian culture seems to have a thing for design and decoration. Everything is elaborate. The building is on the corner where I turn left from Kiraly to head back to my flat. The text in the orange sign on the door announces that this is the location of the Nap Hostel. I'm sure this will be a busy corner when students begin to travel. The lower level is occupied by an outdoors store. When I first lived here, the store had a huge backpack out on the front steps. That has disappeared now in the weeks of snow. Maybe it will come back when the weather gets better. It seems like I arrived in spring and then we went back to winter!

Here is another beautiful and interesting building along Kiraly. The
decoration, I think, is Zsolany tile.

Next is a photo of the vista of Hotel Palatnus, the most expensive and fancy hotel in Pecs. The arcade in front of it is U-shaped with the entrance set quite far back from the street. This is where I usually hit the ATM when I need money. One is off the street and it just seems a bit more secure and less rushed then other places.


This is one of the buildings along Szechenyi Ter looking very fine in the noon-day sun. Note the beautiful roof decoration, again more of the Zsolany tile.
My main goal for going to Interspar, the grocery store in the Arkade, was to get some flour. After walking down and then shopping, I wanted a rest. I stopped at one of my favorite places in the Arkade and pulled down the drink menu. Now that I know the Hungarian word for black currant juice is feketeribizli, I can find it on a menu. I still haven't found this by itself in the juice area of the grocery store, however.

At home I used the flour as part of plan for making southern fried chicken. The two chicken breasts I got at the farmer's market  yesterday are so large that I will have three more meals after today. I got some canned corn and had a regular midwest America Sunday dinner.

I have a busy week coming up. Tune back to see what's happening in Pecs this coming week.

No comments: