Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Real Sunday

After Sundays that always seem to be snowstorms, a real one arrived. I was very glad to see sun coming into the windows. About 10:30 or so I took off  to the Arkade to pick up a few groceries to get me through the next few days.

Sometimes when walking my back begins to ache so I stopped  after shopping for a break at my favorite place in the Arkade for a cappucino. This place has everything from coffee to my favorite black currant juice to great ice cream sundaes to grilled cheese sandwiches. There certainly is something for anytime I want to stop there.

On the way back home I took the short cut. This takes me through a construction area by the synagogue. The city is building an underground parking garage here. The parking garage is done, now the landscaping needs to be done on the ground level. This morning, for the first time, the sidewalk was not frozen ice and the sun was shining. I stopped to take a picture of one of the side doors. In April the synagogue opens for tours. I'm looking forward to that.

In mid-afternoon I took off to go to the Cella Septichora. I particularly wanted to see an Icon exhibit there, one of the events of the Capital of Culture year. The exhibit disappears at the end of the week, so it was indeed time to get there. Crossing into Szechenyi Ter I could see the TV tower. Some day when it's warm I'll take the bus up into the Mescek Hills and climb up the tower. I continued along Janus Pannonius, and by the famous Padlock Gate I saw a young couple trying to decide where to attach their lock.

The Icon exhibit at the Cella comes from Visual Arts Gallery, Sliven, Bulgaria. The works were completed at various times in the 19th Century.

This is St. Nicholas. This icon is probably about 30x24 inches.

I liked this icon of St. Theodore. Saints infrequently get to have a horse. It is also large like the one pictured above.

The icons were all different sizes. These were about the size of piece of paper. I enjoyed seeing these icons very much. I will write much more about the Cella itself at another time.

But before going on, in the midst of the Roman ruins, here's a 21st century digital display done with 8 images.

I chose to go on this day because at 17:00 there would be a choir concert. The  concert was called, "We Leave forAmerica" concert, and presented by the Pannon Volan Bartok Bela Male Choir. This is a great choral group. I enjoyed this very much. There was a full house, and then some. For the second time I saw what to do when there isn't enough seating. You simply go into the back somewhere and find more chairs. I was the first American I bet, but not the last, who will be surprised to hear "My Lord What a Morning" sung in British English as might be used by a very proper butler. They even got the G on the end of morning, instead of singing mornin'.

The Cella has a plexglass roof and people on ground level can walk over it. It was quite an experience to be in the 4th century Roman works, listening to a choral concert, while people walked their dogs, children ran, and teens rode bicycles over the ceiling.

By the time the concert finished it was dark. Walking by the Gaza Kaszim Pasa I snapped this picture of the windows on the side.

It had been too many meals of soup, yogurt and grilled cheese sandwiches. I was ready for a great change. So I tried the Replay Restaurant on Kiraly. I had a wonderful Hungarian (?) meal of BBQ pulled pork, cole slaw, and French Fries. It hit the spot!

A great Sunday and not a flake of snow.

No comments: