Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Walking Around Pecs -- February 23

Spring seems to be arriving in Pecs. Yesterday I noticed workers sweeping the grit and sand off the the walks and squares. This was put down when the surfaces were very icy. My first steps certainly revealed that much had been done to give the Pecs streets and walks a spring cleaning yesterday.

The sun was shining. The tops of the buildings on my route were lit by the early morning sun.

To begin here is the top of the National Theatre.

Next is a building shown before in this blog. This building is along the west side of Szechenyi Ter and was built originally as a bank.Now it holds offices of many kinds.

I also watched the stone mason at work for a bit. The final details are being made on the renovation of Szechenyi Ter.

Here I turn left and enter into a little courtyard. This had some surprises this morning. Sculptures had appeared. Here is an example.

And above is a hopeful sign of spring -- umbrellas for the outdoors cafe.

At my office, I finalized my lesson for the English class. However, about the time it was to begin, the teacher came to tell me that only one student had come that day. The casual way students attend classes in Europe is always a surprise to American professors! The teacher wanted to know if I would still come for a conversation dialogue. Sure! I walked into the room and found they were examining what I guess would be called American slang. Words such as ain't, gonna and wanna were on the board. We had a great time discussing these plus words such as got'cha and all the possible meanings for "I got screwed." The student watches a lot of American movies and also reads American comics. That is where she had gathered these words. This was indeed a fun lesson.

After the class, I walked past T-Mobile and put down some money so I have minutes back on my phone. Then I walked to the Arkade and had a yogurt, ice cream and fruit sundae. After I was finished I walked out a nearby door that had been closed during the recent cold weather.

What a surprise -- a lovely little park.

I walked back to Szechenyi Ter and tried the Nador Gallery again. I think the reason I didn't get into the gallery the other day is that I simply didn't know how to open the door. Nador was once upon a time a very elegant hotel. I don't know why it went out of business. The building is now down to the basic walls and makes a very different background for display of art.

Here is work of Zsuzsuanna Deak.
And here is a snapshot of the floor. From the gallery I walked over to the American Corner and returned a DVD. Last evening I watched Fargo again.

Then I went back to McDonald's for awhile -- I couldn't go home because my apartment was being cleaned. Oh, what a problem! I was amused watching two young Hungarian women interact with American male students. One student was going on about Women's Day in March 8, and the Hungarian women insisted this wasn't celebrated in Hungary. Meanwhile another young woman asked with body language if a seat was free at my table. I moved my coat so she could sit down. She responded: Danke Shoen.  So I left to go back to my flat to prepare for my Hungarian lesson tomorrow. Now just where all of us? It does get confusing sometimes I'm feeling very much at home, too.

Had to laugh when I got home and went onto the Facebook page. The Kiva is promoting that women stand on bridges on Women's Day, March 8 as a way of promoting peace. Maybe this day will be celebrated!

Just remembered I had promised to get something written about Norvirus as a lesson for tomorrow, and I haven't done a thing about it!

Hope you enjoy these photos.

No comments: