Sunday, February 7, 2010

Field Trip to the Aquarium/Terrarium

Well what to do on a snowy Sunday (see posting below). I had read that a good thing to do on a cold winter day was to go to the Aquarium/Terrarium. This is only perhaps six blocks away from me, but I walked the "long" way because I didn't know exactly how all the streets interacted. The aquarium/terrarium is part of the Pecs Zoo and is housed in cellar areas under the Pecs streets. It was quite an experience walking down long flights of stairs and going through hallways, pretty much by myself.

The terrarium part has lizards, snakes, frogs, and one Cuban crocodile. The signage was all in Hungarian, but it was easy to follow. And I learned a few words, perhaps.

Here are some fish. There were many tropical fish and some fresh water fish. The one I liked especially was the whipnose catfish. It looks like a stick, but if one watches a moment, you can see it move.

After my journey here, I went to the shopping center, and got shampoo. I've been living with the little travel sizes and they are going to run out soon, and I really wanted to save them for when I did some traveling. Made another trip through the grocery store and brought home a couple of new things. One is a half loaf of bread (kenyer in Hungarian). Toast is a big thing here. The toast bread is cut quite thin and in perfect squares. I also got some butter; it is signed maslo, comes from Czech Republic, and the name is close enough to Polish for butter that I knew what I was buying. A piece of toast with mixed fruit jam (called forest fruits in Central Europe) tasted very good when I got home.


But before coming home I stopped on my walk up the hill again at McDonalds. I don't know if one can get cappucino in a McCafe in the states. Pretty good for McDonalds, don't you think?

No comments: