Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snowy Sunday

I woke this morning to snowfall, the big wet flakes
like we get in Minnesota near the end of winter. However, I could see that there was also a good wind, so I figured the weather was unpleasant for sight-seeing and getting further acquainted with the town.

I found good web-streaming from National Public Radio while I studied Hungarian for bit and put together breakfast. For breakfast I had a vanilla csiga. As much as I like chocolate, I think the vanilla csiga is better and it had a few raisins, too. I also ate the second half of the Sweetie. I looked up Sweetie fruit on the Internet and discovered it is a cross between white grapefruit and a pomelo. The breeding was done at the University of California. Thus, I wonder why I've never seen this fruit in the United States. It doesn't exactly taste sweet, it's just that the sharpness of the grapefruit is gone. I'll keep buying these are long as they continue to appear in the fruit shop over in Kiraly Utca.

By 12:30 I was feeling like a nap, but I thought if I slept then I would have problems falling asleep tonight. So I buddled up and made my way to the Arkade. I had pizza again, and then went to the supermarket. I found a cup to hold pens and markers so they aren't all rolling around on the desk top.

Speaking of the desk: it's cardboard. This undoubtedly would have mystified me except for my Poland experience. In 2006, Reymontowka remodeled the attic space to provide a permanent work space for the volunteers as well as storage space for all the teaching resources that have been accumulated over time. During the time I was there, design students from a university in Lodz (can't write the name of the city correctly with an English keyboard -- it's pronounced Woodge) made cardboard storage furniture for the work space. In 2009 most of the shelves were still standing.

At the market I also got bread and fruit to last me through the evening meal and breakfast tomorrow. I'm beginning to understand why the Polish young women tell me they don't like shopping. The constant trips for fresh food get old in a hurry.

I go to Budapest for orientation tomorrow and don't plan to take the computer with me this trip. Thus, the blog will be quiet until I return on Friday evening. I'm certain I'll have a lot of stories to tell.

2 comments:

Michelle Aldrich said...

Sounds like you are having a nice time! I will have to look up csiga, as I'm not sure what this is. The Sweetie fruit sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing your adventures! I look forward to reading more. :)

Lori said...

I explained that a csiga is a pastry all rolled up quite a cinnamon roll. In the Saturday sleeping in blog, I reported csiga means snail and the name fits the pastry quite nicely.