Saturday, January 23, 2010

Only in Minnesota














Today was an ugly winter day. The temperature was just above freezing obviously for we got rain. This on top of the snow that is around made a real mess. However, it is Winter Carnival time in St. Paul and this weather did not prevent people from running either a 5K or half marathon. Earlier this week signs appeared advising us that we were "locked in" between 9:00 - 12:30 for the race. Sure enough blockades went up outside my window this morning along with police presence. Here's photos from outside the window. The one showing the people with the banner were the very last runners.

Watching all this was a good way to put off packing. I spent some time this afternoon organizing all the books and papers needed to teach the classes in Hungary as well as what I need to take with me to design a new class for fall at my home university. I spent some time digging in the closet too. I want to take along a couple of counted cross stitch projects. I took one with me this summer and found I was missing one color of yarn. I forgot all about that until getting it out again. I really didn't want to have to take a shopping trip tomorrow for one skien of embroidery yarn. Digging in the closet was successful. I did find the color I needed in a box. I have packed one large suitcase. I think the rest will fit in the smaller bag. I'll know tomorrow.

More about the weather-- this weekend there was also a bit pond hockey tournament being played. It just got cancelled for it is not possible to skate in 3 inches of water on top of the ice.

Thanks to all of you that have sent wishes for safe travel.

No comments: