Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Freezing in Florida

Every have a vacation that is a bust!?! Late last summer I was asked to teach a study abroad course in Jamaica beginning in late December and ending just about now. When that fell through, I decided to go to Florida, for I was ready to be somewhere warm for awhile. Well, I went to Florida for the record cold spell. The only thing that saved this trip was unexpectedly meeting friends. I found that a pen pal I've had for more than 20 years (from before the Internet and text messages and all the way we communicate now) was going to be at WDW at the same time as me. We got together for a long breakfast at the Boma restaurant at Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Two days later I started off to the O'hana Restaurant to meet another friend, this time from Atlanta. I got caught in a monorail slowdown and it took me more than an hour to make what is usually a 5 minute trip. We still had a very good dinner and were able to watch the fireworks from the Magic Kingdom while we ate.

On Saturday I met a friend from Orlando for tea at the Grand Floridian Hotel. It was so cold I had to wear my winter coat inside the hotel. I realized there wasn't any way to heat the atrium area and restaurants. Florida buildings are constructed for cooling, not heating! We still had a wonderful conversation over tea. I also took her some Good Earth tea from Minnesota. I knew she liked it, but when I put it into the suitcase I had no idea how much she would need it. Believe me 30 degrees in Florida is much colder than 30 degrees in Minnesota.

And now tonight I downloaded my pictures, but made some kind of mistake and they didn't get saved on the computer. Of course, I discovered that after I had deleted the photos from the camera. Oh, well!

No comments: