Friday, January 22, 2010

One Thing Leads to Another

I read today that the announcement of an attempt to better control banks in the United States led to a devaluation of the Polish and Hungarian currencies. I went to a currency conversion site and found my proposed rent for my apartment has just gone down $17.00 due to the fall of the Hungarian forint.

I've just finished reading some really awful comments and language on another web site about the Hope for Haiti Telethone. People simply don't seem to understand that in today's globalized world Haiti is very close. When simply an announcement of  a proposed policy makes the change noted above, we must be mindful of how closely related we all are. Our "backyard" where some people loudly advocated money should go is much bigger than it used to be.

A very long time ago I was with the first group who did training about helping families in Minnesota who experience Sudden Infant Death. At that time, people were quite concerned they might make an error and by nice to abusive parents thinking they were SIDS parents. I will always remember the wise mental health professional, herself a refugee from Europe in World War II, who said, "Compassion is never an error."

No comments: