Saturday, January 30, 2010

Sleeping in on Saturday

I woke about 6 AM and moaned when I saw the time. I rolled over and slept until about 10 AM. I made breakfast with yogurt and a chocolate csiga. A csiga is rolled like a cinnamon roll, but made of dough more like a croissant. (Later I found in an Hungarian dictionary that csiga means snail. Ah ha!, that's why that roll has that name, it's perfect.). I finally started wandering to T-Mobile to complete the phone purchase. I got there and found the door locked. It said the Saturday hours were 8:30 - 12:30. Why is the door locked? Only when I turned around and saw a public clock did I solve the mystery. The time was 12:33 PM. Pecs shuts down on Saturday afternoons. No more sleeping in on Saturday morning if I have things to do. Saturday afternoon nap will be a much better idea.

I wandered on and scouted out the Pecs train station. An intercity train was in the station getting ready to go to Sarajevo. I walked the length of the platform and found how cars are numbered. Now I know what to look for on Monday. I still don't quite understand how one is know what track to use, but I'm guessing there is only one InterCity train in the station at a time, and one can figure it out. Also found a shop in the station that sells water, so that can be purchased after arriving at the station. I like to have a bottle of water if I'm traveling for 3 hours. Agnes told me the best part of traveling first class is that one is close to the car with food. However, I don't know if I can simply walk away from my luggage and do something like that. Monday will be quite an adventure again. If I manage to get myself to Budapest and then buy a ticket for the Metro and get to the hotel, I'll feel like I've really accomplished something.

I started a walk back to the shopping center, Arkad, only you can't see there are marks over both of A letters that make them sound different. Studying a bit of Hungarian this afternoon, I find this word means Arcade. That also makes perfect sense. On my way I saw carnival masks in a shop window. This is supposed to be carnival time in Pecs, but this is the first sign I've seen of it.

I was hungry again after walking for about an hour, so got some pizza. This choice looked the most "normal" to me. I wasn't ready for pizza with kernels of corn.  Pepperoni pizza with olives and red peppers is quite fine. The piece of pizza and a 500 ml Coca-Cola lite was 750 forints ($3.95).

At the shopping center I got my first pair of European shoes from this trip. I wanted something just a bit more dressy to wear in Budapest. They cost about $37.00. One nice thing about shopping
in Europe is that the price you see, is the price you pay. Any taxes are already in the price.

My next stop was the supermarket. Every day it makes more and more sense. Once I figure out how to light the gas stove, I'll be able to make pasta dishes for example. Also, my landlady has offered to include me in weekly shopping trips, so shopping will become easier. I can buy heavy things like pasta sauce and not have to carry it home, walking 15 minutes. Making sandwiches, however, needs mustard and I found that today. I had a good French roll and some good cheese to go with this, and life is good.

Tried to find a nearby movie theatre, but didn't have luck. That will take another study with the map.

No comments: