Friday, August 5, 2011

It's Polish Night Again

This is my third Polish Night for this summer. Each is different, depending upon the students and the director. This one began with an orientation to the geography of Poland.
This was followed by a drama presentation of the Legend of Lech, Czech, and Ros. With very simple supplies the drama teacher did a wonderful job of presenting this legend. Below is a video showing the portrayal of the White Eagle.
Following this the kids sang Kocham Cie Polkso. I really enjoy this song every time I hear it. I had helped the drama teacher with some of the translation for the program, so we are becoming good friends. She tried to explain this song to me and said she would translate it for me. I told her with a copy of the lyrics, I think I can translate it myself. Not that it will translate literally. I've been around Poland enough that I can appreciate this song very  much.

Then they of course danced the Polonaise

After this they danced. In their rooms many were up to midnight. I have a room of students next door to me and could hear the laughing and giggling. Thus this morning, I had a tired group of students and didn't push them too hard. We ended our morning playing a game called Traffic Jam. Each person becomes something such as a car, truck, train or airplane. Then we sit in a circle with one less chair than the number of players. The person in the middle gets back a chair by asking two types of transportation to change places, or makes everyone move by saying, "Traffic Jam." I think they had fun with this today. I'll do in again at other camps with kids this age.

Now I'm off to explore Kielce over the weekend. The first time I've really gone off by myself and so I can do what I want. It's maddening to go traveling even for a day with people who have a different agenda. I want to see things -- not spend all my time shopping!

No comments: