Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election Adventures at School

I called to find out what my grandchildren's perceptions were about this election. Because each of has African-American heritage there is no surprise that they are happy. My grandson is in fourth grade. He said they didn't discuss this at school, but it was the talk of recess and lunchtime. He said there is one classmate who was for McCain, but "she didn't say anything; she just played tag with the rest of us." That's really what peaceful transfer of power is all about.

My granddaughter who is seventh grade has picked up the theme that it is time for change. She said they discussed this election in their history class, which right now is centering on President Arthur. (Well, I'm certainly going to have to do a google search after this to recall anything about that President) When I last helped her with history she was studying the Reconstruction period after the Civil War. She shared that the principal of the school has asked the students to make posters of what they want this president to do. I cannot remember such engagement before in an election.

No comments: