Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Avoided a Scam?

Today I got an e-mail from a student that I worked with during my Fulbright time in Hungary. It said she was in Manchester, UK, for a conference and got her purse stolen and could I send her some money -- 900 pounds to be exact. I do hear from this student sometimes, but the last time, the message was that her e-mail account got hacked. The alarm bells went off. I couldn't quite decide what to do. If this was true, I knew I was one of the few people in the world who could help her because, unfortunately, both of her parents have died and her only brother is not financially able to help -- he works, but in his home country -- not Hungary, elsewhere -- the salaries are quite low.

I went for a walk and decided the best thing to do was to ask some questions that only the real person could answer. And since then the e-mail conversation has stopped. Yes, it probably was a try for stealing money by scam!

No comments: