Friday, August 23, 2013

A Locomotive in Lódż

Almost one of the first things I saw in Manufactura when visiting Lódż was an incredible train.


 I also saw sculptural figures of a man scattered about the rynek area.




 It took me a day to put all of this together. It is a tribute this year to the Polish author, Julian Tuwim,
Click on his name above to learn more about his life and work.

And why a train? I think that's because one of his famous poems is Locomotive. You may read it in translation here

Here's another photo of the train.

 And a close up of the headlight on the engine.

The crochet is the work of Agata "Olek" Oleksiak. Click here to learn more about her and the work that she does. Much to my surprise, she now lives in the United States.

It was great fun to see the work of Olek. Little children were having a great time examining the train. And I am glad to have learned about Tuwim. These type of outdoor exhibits are one thing I like about Poland. I have learned so much from outdoor exhibits, things I might never have found in a museum!

No comments: