Monday, September 23, 2013

Walking in Morris

Since the forecast for last weekend was for sunny weather, it seemed like a good time to do the last two county walks that will not be available next year. On Saturday morning about 8:30 I left home heading northwest again on I -94. I ate a bit of breakfast at home before leaving and then stopped at a McDonald's later for coffee and a breakfast sandwich. I got to Morris about 11:30 or so.

Morris is the county seat town for Stevens County, established in 1862. Stevens County is named for Issac Ingalls Stevens who commanded an expedition for northern survey for the Pacific Railroad. The walk map also noted Stevens was considered to be "a gallant leader for the Union during the Civil War." Morris is named for Charles A.F. Morris who was also involved in railroad development. Morris has a population of about 5600 persons.

The walk began from a hotel along Highway 28. I walked along the frontage road and then turned left walking through a residential area of small houses. They appeared to have been built after World War II, when there was a housing boom as soldiers returned home and established families.

Soon the route turned to the left towards the University of Minnesota - Morris campus. But first I found, much to my surprise, a cemetary.
 
 Soon I saw the sign for the University.

On one side of the street I saw lovely fall flowers.

But on the other side of the street I heard a voice as if through a loudspeaker and noticed a bridal party.


Most buildings on the campus are quite new.

And I liked this windows in this building:

A nearby sign said this is the Science Center.

Walking on I found a old building.

In front of the building is a marker explaining the history of this building. It first began in the late 19th century as a boarding school for American Indian children from reservations in North and South Dakota. It was originally run by a group of Catholic Sisters. The sign goes on to explain the various changes in U.S. policy concerning the purpose of such education.  In 1896 the federal government took over the school, making it one that offered both academic and industrial education. In the early 20th century there began to be a move against such boarding school. This school was among the very first closed and the physical property was transferred to the state of Minnesota in 1909. In that year it became the West Central School of Agriculture, and then in 1960 the school was made into the University of Minnesota- Morris. It now operates as one of 25 public liberal arts colleges in the United States.

Rounding the corner I found another lovely collection of fall flowers.

Nearby I found a memorial garden to those alumni who have served in the U.S. military.

Notice the word, boys, when referencing World War I.

The reference to World War II speaks to men and women. I noticed a similar sign for the Viet Nam War simply says veterans.

I continued on through the campus and then back down the same road. I walked through residential areas and then by the county hospital. Across the street a small house caught my attention with a sign that says Courage Cottage.

The sign in the yard explains it is a home for those needing short term rehabilitation or adults requiring foster care.

The rest of the walk took me through the business district and then back to the hotel parking lot where I had left the car.

I drove back to a the Dairy Queen I had found while walking and had an ice cream. Then I headed back east.

Highway 28 between Starbuck and Glenwood goes along Lake Minnewaska. This is a distance of a bit more than 8 miles. I kept trying to find a place where I could take photos without being on private property. Finally I pulled off the road in Glenwood and went to Lakeshore Drive. I had seen some of this area when doing a walk in Glenwood earlier this year. (See post for May 17.)

Lake Minnewaska is a combination of the words for water and good from the Dakota language. It is a a large lake, covering 7110 acres (2877 hectares). On the shore I found a sculpture of an Indian maiden.

She is waiting for her beloved, Chief Waube Makwa (White Bear in English). He has gone to see the French missionaries on the Mississippi River and the maiden watches for his return each day. This story comes from a book by Alice Otillia Thorson called Tribe of Pezhekee, Legend of Minnesota.

And here is one lake view.

It took only about another 20 minute drive to arrive in Alexandria. I stopped at the start point for the walk there and picked up the map. Then I went to hotel where I planned to spend the night. From there I went to a restaurant for late lunch/early supper. Then I did a bit of shopping at Target. I drove about 3 miles to the start point for the Alexandria walk. Then back to the hotel for a rest before setting out the next morning.

Enjoyed the walk in Morris very much and learning about the history of the Morris campus.




No comments: