Sunday, February 8, 2015

Walking at the Mall of America -- again

On Saturday I got up early and drove to the Mall of America for the walk sponsored there by the Twin Cities Volkssports Club. This is an annual event, supported by the Walking Company Store. Smart of them as this time I took a good look at their shoes and may be back there some day for some shopping. The volksmarchers were only part of the people walking here early in the morning. Many, many people show up there for walking. Mall walking is popular here in the winter because one could do good distances without having to deal with cold weather or snow and ice on the sidewalks.

I have done this walk many times now and it's getting hard to find anything new. But I decided i would try to find some new things, or things that were quirky or strange.

I liked the pillow that I saw in the window of the Creative Kidstuff store.

The sign below caught my attention. One thing I truly dislike about this mall is that often I drive around longer trying to find a place to park than the drive between where I live and the mall.

No, I don't use Twitter to find a place; I usually take the light rail which totally eliminates having to find a parking place. However, at 7:30 in the morning finding a place to park was not a problem, but when I left at 10:15 the parking ramp was full .

The sign above was over hand sanitizer. I find it interesting that now stores feel it necessary to provide this-- and it's particularly ironic that we have a cohort of the population that is very germ phobic but at the same time is rejecting vaccines which protect against very much more dangerous diseases than one might find touching something at a shopping mall.

Bloomingdale's pulled out an anchor tenant at the MOA. During this walk I noticed the third level of this space has now been turned into an Exhibit Center. This center right now has a Barbie exhibit, a CSI exhibit, and a Star Trek exhibit. I couldn't figure out from the sign if this is a free area or if one must pay a fee. The signage did speak to getting tour reservations. Well, it will have to be something more interesting than these three shows before I try to try to learn more.

I passed the above video a couple of times. Two thoughts -- I much rather walk and see things than do such a timeless exercise - and secondly, what does this have to do with Verizon products? That is the store in which the video plays in the window.

A fun part of walking of Level 3 is seeing the decorations from the bars and restaurants on Level 4 from a different perspective.

And Level 3 also provides a good view of the robot in the Lego Store.

This walk counted in my distance book and the event book. I also am starting a Walking the Louisiana Purchase book. This book requires one to do a walk in each of the 15 states that have area that was purchase by the United States from France and now known as the Louisiana Purchase.

In a post from a recent Nebraska adventure I wrote about going to the Lewis and Clark Museum in Nebraska City, NE. For readers in other countries -- Lewis and Clark were sent out by President Jefferson to explore just what the United States had purchased.

I'm getting anxious for better weather outdoors to start doing some walks in other towns and parks. Come on Spring!

No comments: