Thursday, September 11, 2008

Adventures in an Alternate Universe

Today will go down as one of the craziest. Well, certainly better than another September 11, but I felt like I spent all the day in alternate universe. The story starts a bit before today. I was really in need of something better to sleep on, and anticipating the move I want to make, decided to get a small sleeper couch with a very good mattress, so I'd have something to sleep on until I could buy a new bed. The couch was delivered yesterday and I was very pleased. My eye was right. It is the right color to go with a painting that will always be part of my living room.

Last evening I went to Ikea and found a duvet and what they call a quilt cover, and then made up a bed the Polish way with a sheet on the bottom and simply the duvet on the top.

I woke up this morning thinking I had rested very well. Then I realized I had overslept. I have been using my Ipod for an alarm clock. Looked and realized it had not gone off because somehow it was now measuring time in Central Standard time while we are still on daylight time. I could not make the Ipod control do anything.

I grabbed a yogurt and ran out of the house. On the way to work I stopped at a coffee shop and got coffee.

Then I was in a meeting all morning, had a short time to eat some lunch, a sandwich I had packed, and then was off to another meeting. At 3:30 I had a hair appointment. I was watching the time click off on the computer task bar, and about 3:10 started to pick things up to get out to the hair salon. Where's my purse? Maybe I left in the car and carried in only the tote bag. No, that wasn't it. I looked again and again in my office, no purse. I went to security and had them open a room in which I had the second meeting in case I had left it there. No purse there either. I ran back to my office and left a voice mail message for my hair dresser. Then I went to the coffee shop where I had stopped about 8 AM asking if I had walked out and left my purse. No, it wasn't there. My next stop then was my credit union where we cancelled my credit and debit cards, and put a big watch on my checking account.

Next I drove to the hair salong and found my hair dresser just heading home. We made a new appointment for tomorrow.

Nine days out of ten I leave my cell phone home, but somehow this morning I managed to take it with me.

I found when I hooked the Ipod up to my computer it got right with the universe again.

I located a public phone at the nearby community center building and phoned CREDO and have a new phone on order. While at the community center I went into the library and go a new library card. On the walk back from home I was stopped by young woman who appeared to be from Sri Lanka or southern India asking for help in finding the library. Obviously I could tell her. I thought perhaps this was a way to balance out the crazy universe today.

Tomorrow the first task is to take the bus to a driver's license center and get my license replaced. Then when I'm legal again, a stop at the insurance office to get my car insurance cards replaced. Wonder what else I need to attend to?

No comments: