Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Surprises on the Way to Work

This morning I woke at 5 AM and started work at home. I had a 10 AM appointment in my office, so left the house to make that appointment about 9:30. My usual drive is along Shepard Road; on one side is the Mississippi River and on the other side is a railroad track. When one approaches downtown St. Paul it is usual to see a steam plume from the District Heating Plant, but there was a huge amount of white steam this morning. I couldn't figure out what it was; the steam was clear white so this clearly wasn't smoke from a fire, and it the plume was right on the railroad track. Then I saw it -- a steam engine pulling a series of antique passenger cars. There were people around everywhere taking pictures, so quite obviously this was planned. I was lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

No photo. It is not a good practice to talk on a cell phone while driving. It strikes me as even a poorer practice to try to take a photo with a cell phone while driving!

No comments: