Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Adventures in Perception

I know I had no idea of what Poland was like before I went the first time. However, what I've heard lately amazes me. I was with four teams of Americans while in Poland. One family said they wanted to visit a Communist country and were surprised to find Polish "people are just like us." I bit my tongue and didn't ask why persons in that family had not noticed 1989, the changes in Poland, and all the other changes in the former Soviet dominated countries.

Last night a potential volunteer called me. One of her questions was whether the hotels used in Poland would be clean. Clean! I've never seen anyone who cleans like the Polish! Why on earth would someone ask that question. Clearly there are some very great misperceptions in this country about Central Europe.

But one volunteer said she was going to go home and tell everyone to visit Poland. All she had heard about was Prague and she thought Poland and its beautiful cities are hidden gems.

1 comment:

Joan and David Piekarczyk said...

Yes, you're absolutely right. I think most Americans only think about America. They have little idea or care that there is a whole other world out there.