Saturday, May 15, 2010

Getting to Transylvania

I left Pecs yesterday on the 15:23 train and got to Budapest right on time. Got to the hotel and quickly left again to get a light dinner. I decided to go back to a favorite place at Batthyany Ter, partly because I like the food and partly because it would put me at a good place for some photos at sunset.

Here is the Parliament Building at sunset.

And here is a view of the Liberty Monument far up on a Buda hill.

I went back to the hotel after eating and crashed out. Up at 6 AM today for I had a room on the "sunny" side of the hotel. Went to breakfast and asked for a taxi at 9 AM to take me to the airport, thinking that would get me there by 10:00 well in advance of my 12:15 flight. Did a polish change on my nails and then got out the plane ticket. Oh, heavens the flight leaves at 10:15 and gets there are 12:15. I grabbed everything very quckly and went down to reception and asked for a taxi immediately. I got to the airport about 9:00 and got on the flight to Targu Mures without any problem.

Arrived in Transylvania. Got through passport control and picked up my bag but couldn't find the promised driver. Quickly everyone was disappearing and all the taxis were getting customers and leaving. I thought one taxi still needed a customer and started walking there. I think that taxi driver had two customers already. There was a man there with a Rent a Car sign and I said something about needing a taxi. He said he would take me to the hotel for the same price as the taxi. I vertified the price and off we went. The airport is 14 kilometers from the town for I'm glad I found a ride.

I got to the Pension Ana. I gave my name and they simply handed me a key! My room is on the first floor (in the states we would say second floor) just to the right of the flags. I have a very nice room that opens out onto the first floor terrace. I'm right across the street from a very major hospital for this area of the country. When I went out walking I saw a helicopter arrive on airlift operation.

My short walk took me to two very interesting sights. The first appears to be a heros/military cemetary. I will be interested to learn if there has been a recent holiday or if the flowers are here everyday.

Above is one of the gravemarkers that I found. Even though this is in Romanian, the message is easy to read.

Walking back I found a very pretty wooden church.

My room here is very comfortable, the food is very good, and finding WI-FI was a great surprise. Off to a good start.

No comments: