Sunday, May 2, 2010

Street Scenes and Experiences

I've spent the last few days trying to recover from the bad respiratory infection that I encountered. Yesterday, Saturday, I spent the entire day in my flat, something I've never done since I arrived here.

Today I went out for a couple of short walks. It was very quiet actually because today is Mother's Day in Hungary, and it appears many were with family events. I had  Mother's Day moments. I was seated in a sidewalk cafe and a father with a little boy, old enough to walk well, came by. The little boy stopped beside me and gave me a tree stick that he had been carrying. Another time I met a family with a little girl, also able to walk, but perhaps not even 18 months old. Suddenly I realized I had a follower. The little girl had left her family and was walking behind me. I got her back to her family. I surely must not look like a stranger in this area.

It is hard to stay inside because I'm always afraid I'll miss something. Here are some photos left over from Friday afternoon. I went out to a nearby bookstore to get a book, for a I knew a long stay in bed was coming one.

I found someone making a fancy box  and another in the Szenchenyi Ter area.


The workers above the box are working on the fine leveling of the newly laid blocks in the Szechenyi Ter area.
Next to this was a pattern laid on the street.


All of the above has disappeared. I get mystified about the amount of work on one day that disappears by the next morning. The following, however, is permanent.

Notice the effort made in creating a design in the blocks for the Ter area. Why this is placed here mystifies me, but not just me. I never walk by without seeing someone walk up and kick it with his/her toes to see if it permanent. Now you can see why I like to be out and around every day.

No comments: