Thursday, May 27, 2010

Perfect Summer Day

Yesterday the sun was shining and the temperature was in the mid-80's, the way we meaure it in the United States. I walked by the post office and mailed a card and then went to the train station to find the #33 bus. Since the revision of Szechenyi Ter the bus routes north and south have changed their routes, but there is no information provided about the new routes, so I didn't know where the bus might be near my flat. The bus starts from the train station so that's why I went to the train station.

Another American told me walking up to the Mescek Hills wasn't "too bad." However, as the bus ground up the hill in first gear, I was very glad to be riding, not walking. I got off one stop too early from where I wanted to go, but still found many interesting things to see.

I was right by the Tettye Ruins.

Just below the hill where this area is located a new fountain is being created. Note the blocks with the holes. They are the same as the fountain now in Szechenyi Ter. The color on the seats is actually mosaic, but the detail just wouldn't show up on this photo.

I also found interesting sculpture tucked away in the trees.

Here is a view from the hill side. The center of Pecs, where I live, is in the center of the picture where the buildings all appear to be terra-cotta color. One can see the high rises of New Pecs further in the distance, and then finally the Villany Hills.

I tried to walk down the road to where I really wanted to be, but the sidewalk was under construction and the road appeared to be too dangerous for walking. So I went across the street to a restaurant.


This is  lovely place on a balmy summer day.

The mid-day meal is usually soup and then a "second plate."

I had strawberry soup with turos dumplings. Oh yum! And in case you are wondering, this is a cold soup. I can't imagine what hot strawberry soup might taste like!

My "second plate" was a salmon salad with mustard dressing. Both the salmon and the mustard dressing were new and novel flavors.

I checked out the map and decided an arboretum couldn't be too far away, so headed there after lunch.

This is part of a large national park in this area. Here national parks are more for preservation of wild areas than public recreation, so finding something like a developed arboretum is unusual.

This guy welcomed me.

The area had many other more modern sculptures.

I wandered until I found a park bench by a pond. Pulled out a book and sat there reading and admiring the dragon flies.

After about an hour I walked back a bit and went into a shop and got a wonderful ice cream bar. Waited for the #33 to start coming down the hill and then got off at a stop somewhat by my flat.

About 5 PM I went over to the Caff e Lite and ordered a coconut lemonade and waited for Thomas and Carol. We had not seen each other for about three weeks, so we caught up on the news. Then we went for a bit of walk through Pecs in the evening summer air.

Wow! Truly a perfect day.

No comments: