Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pentecost -- in Hungarian: Punkosd

Punkosd except I should be using a Hungarian keyboard so I could make the vowels with the correct marks, as the word is much more complex than it looks above.

I came back from Budapest yesterday afternoon, amazed as my friends predicted to see the flooding in the fields. They told me while I was gone that Pecs got a 6 inch rainstorm. This is all part of huge storm that stalled over Central Europe and caused major problems in many locations in Central Europe.

I especially wanted to attend the Unitarian church service here today. The congregation meets in a conference room in a commerical building near my office. I surely couldn't understand the Hungarian -- maybe got about 5 words such as no, problem, God, Amen (said in English or whatever language it is, but it was Amen), and help. Once in awhile I could understand some of the numbers for the hymns. And I could understand easily a baby dedication. I couldn't come to this part of the world and not attend at least one service.

After the service the minister asked me to go for coffee. We had a lovely visit. And things go around in circles, for I learned that Targu Mures is the city in which he grew up.

After we parted I headed to the Arkade to buy some groceries only to find it all closed up. I was surprised, for it wasn't even closed on Easter. I wandered my way back towards to my flat, stopping at a nice restaurant for lunch. I left my cupboards quite empty since I would be gone for 8 days.

I came home and put the camera battery on charge for a bit. Then I wandered over to the Cathedral area to see what the celebration was there. Oh, I know what this is.

I found many booths selling homemade crafts. Just what I need. We discussed this past weekend how difficult it is to get gifts for people that don't carry a Made In China tag. These crafts were all being sold by the people who made them, and many of them were working on things. I really enjoyed seeing lacemaking and how women here do embroidery. I got a couple of things for myself and some things for gifts, assured that they really do come from Hungary.

People were also playing board games with game materials made from boards (wood).

One can also listen to music.

And of course there is food. This is a traditonal Hungarian food. I walk by a woman on Citrom ut who makes these every day, but I don't know what it is.

My friends in Kaposvar tell me their city will be locked up tight today and also tomorrow, Whit Monday, a holiday in Hungary. Pecs, however, is booming with visitors. I stopped in an ice cream shop for a dessert. While I was there, they were simply mobbed with customers. I often stop here, and one person can manage both the seated customers and the walk-ins for ice cream cones. Today they had two people working inside and one person scooping ice cream outside. Tourist time has hit Pecs.

For me this was a perfect summer day. It was sunny and just the right temperature. About 7:30 PM a thunderstorm crashed in, but oh, the rest of the day is one to remember for a long time.

No comments: