Sunday, June 5, 2011

Art Out The Door

Last evening there was a Northern Sparks Art Festival. I went to what was just out the door, and I'm so lucky to have such great things just out the door.

I set off just at dusk as the Festival was to begin at 8:59 PM and continue to 5:30 AM.

Above is a view of the Cathedral at this time and the lower view is the opposite direction over the river to Harriett Island.

There are always a few people on the trails and that is what I saw until I got more to the broader park area and there were hundreds of people there. I was really surprised. The other thing that surprised me was the Art Cars.




What amazed me was that this car. shown also above, is also totally decorated on the inside. Notice the car seat! This is a working family car apparently!


The big art installation here is the Light Spectacle. This is composed of LED lights inserted into regular light bulbs which are then hung on frame. There are designed to act as pixels. As one watches it, there appear to be figures walking through. These are people who once walked through Grand Central Station in New York City as this was shown the first time in that city.
The video below is nothing to look at, the idea is to listen. Somehow this is sounds from the sewer pipes that carry rain water into the river. The man who conceived this was dressed in a white jump suit, rather Elvis style. He topped this off with a blond mohawk. It certainly does take all kinds to make the world go round.



While my eyes were on the ground listening to this, I suddenly realized that a friend and her husband were standing beside me.  You can hear me say, "Hello, Patricia" near the end of this video. This wasn't someone who lived right here, she came from across town, so it was quite amazing that we ran into each other in the dark in the park.

We took a walk up to the High Bridge and then I turned off at my building to go home. A wonderful evening along the river.

No comments: