Thursday, February 26, 2009

Snowy Adventures

A snow storm was forecast to make the evening rush hour messy. I decided to take the bus to work and leave the car in the garage. That was easy. The snow was to start around 9:00 AM. Before a 10:30 AM meeting I looked at the weather radar and found that the storm was like a C with the Mpls-St.Paul area in the center. Before a 12:00 noon meeting I looked again and found the storm was at the west of the cities. By 1:00 PM we had lots of snow. At 2:30 we got a e-mail that the university was closing and we needed to be gone by 4:00 PM.

I left my office to get the 2:42 bus. There was about 5 inches of snow, a lot of snow considering it wasn't snowing 3 hours before. Walking reminded me of the trek between Reymontowka and Pierog on the sandy roads in Poland.

I think the bus came about 3:00 PM. Things went very, very slow. Then we got to a hill, and another bus was stuck and in trouble. Our bus driver got the bus to a corner and went back to a main street, one we had just left. It took more than an hour to get about 1.5 miles down the street to another street to get around the hill and get back on the route. This street had a hill, too. Some cars could not up the hill and men pushed them up. Our bus chuged up the hill. Finally we got back to the route.

It took me 3 hours to get home. I read 102 pages in a book and finished it! Glad I had it. My seat mate was from Brazil and needed someone to help her understand what was happening. She was hoping there will not be school tomorrow. I told her things would be plowed out by morning, so no luck! More later!

Addendum: While all I was doing was sitting, I was wiped out when I got home. I fell asleep watching a DVD and woke up at 10:30 PM when my snow shovelers arrived. I was awakened again by the snow plows on the street a bit after 3 AM. The city must have new trucks. These had flashing lights that lit up the house and the beep-beep-beep sound associated with vehicles backing up. I know there is a need to be cautious around the snow plows, but in the middle of the night it seems to me only the flashing lights are quite enough.

So I told the young woman from Brazil the right news-- we would be plowed out by the morning and she will have to go to school.

No comments: