Sunday, January 23, 2011

Views out the Window 2

The views were basically only out the window this weekend. I've encountered some sort of respiratory crud.


The thing remarkable about this picture is that I took it about 5:30 (17:30) pm. Hey! the daylight is coming back.

Meanwhile I've been reading the papers from students in my health policy class. They have been writing their analysis of our present health care system and their role as an advanced practice nurse in making it better. I'm so very proud of their ideas and their growth in only two weeks.

I'm also teaching a Graduate Nursing Informatics class. My students are all in our Entry Level MSN program. This is a program for persons with a degree in another field who now want to be a nurse. They have to write a reflective paper on how knowledge is built from facts and data. I've only read two of those papers, (they aren't due until February 1), but I'm knocked out at what they are doing in their clinical situations. One wrote about caring for an 83 year old woman who everyone thought was displaying dementia which her repeated attempts to get out bed and then falling. After three hours with this patient, this student went to her supervising nurse with the idea that the woman was displaying the confusion associated with urinary tract infections in the elderly. Further clinical evaluation proved this hunch was correct. We teach geriatric nursing-- few programs do this in depth as does this program -- and I can see having nurses out there who think like these students is definitely going to make a difference.

There is often a perception that online classes are impersonal. I think the opposite -- I get to know students' ideas and aspirations better because I hear from all of them -- not just those brave enough to speak in class.

No comments: