Monday, October 10, 2011

International Conference at Home

I'm attending the 2nd International Public Health Nursing Conference, being held here in Saint Paul.

It is being attended by public health nurses from 15 countries in addition to the United States and by public health nurses from 22 of states.

 The title of the conference relates to the idea that our societies around the world need public health nurses more than ever but public health nurses are quite invisible to the average citizen or the political decision makers.

We heard a wonderful presentation by a public health nurse from Norway -- with an Irish accent since that is her birth country -- about her interviews with nurses, clients, and policy makers about what public health nurses do. This speaker had an interesting technique. When she came to place where she wanted to summarize and then move to new part of her presentation, she put up a picture of her home in Norway --- way, way, up in the northern part of Norway.

She said this photo is taken from her bathroom window in April:



The second morning presentation was given by two public health nurses from Madison, WI, about their Health Equity team and the work they are doing to reduce violence and revitalize neighborhoods in the Madison. Their work amazed all of us, even though everyone in the audience knew that there is much more to nursing than working in a hospital and passing medications.

I've been enjoying seeing professional colleagues I've not seen for awhile. They all ask if I'm still working. One participant, bless her heart, approached me to say the class I gave her provided her with needed skills to be an excellent public health nurse. Readers of my blog may know I'm having a stressful semester with all the courses I have to get ready for spring semester. Nice to get a comment like my former student gave me. Another former student said, "Oh, I was hoping you would be here."

This evening they all went out on the Jonathan Padleford. I decided to simply walk out the back door and wave at them.

No comments: