Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Easter Brunch

almost featured a bit of Europe, too. My older daughter and I went to the Nicollet Island Inn. This Inn is located on a small island between the main channel of the Mississippi River and a small backwater channel.

Here's my daughter while we were waiting to be seated.

We were seated at a table that gave us a nice view of the backwater channel and the little bridge one can cross to get to the area called St. Anthony Main.

Brunch at the Inn is a great experience, for it is five courses, with choices within each course, so each can have an elegant brunch with some favorite foods.

It starts with coffee, juice, and pastry.

For the second course I had a lovely quiche made with cauliflower and cheese. I'd never thought about putting cauliflower in a quiche, but will do so in the future. It is really good!

For this course, my daughter picked Eggs Benedict and ate every bite!

For the third course my daughter choose a salad. I asked for the pea soup.

Pea soup seems so European to me. And the white garnish is celaric cream. I almost sent our waiter off to the kitchen to ask the chef where he had found celaric in Minnesota. We had talked about celaric during my recent stay in Romania and when I saw it mentioned on the menu, I knew I had to have the soup. It was so very good. While I was eating this, my daughter had a serving of meatballs with mashed potatoes. Again every bite disappeared!

My dessert course was saffron rice pudding with blackberry cream.

I think this is the first time I've ever had anything flavored with saffron, and I'm not 100% sure I liked it that much. I would have preferred to have plain white rice with some cinnamon. But at least now I know.

This was a cold day with blustery wind. We picked a lovely way to enjoy sometime together.

No comments: